Tuesday 12 April 2016

Oddicombe Beach and the Cliff Railway

I haven't posted for a while as I've been away. I'll be posting some of our adventures, though not in chronological order. My daughter, granddaughter and one of her delightful young friends were with me all week in our rented apartment in Torquay, and my son, his girlfriend and my lovely friend, Momo, joined us for the last weekend.

Saturday was our last full day. We all went to Babbacombe Downs.


There we met up with my nephew and his happy little son before getting on the cliff railway which recently celebrated its 90th birthday.


 It took us down to Oddicombe Beach.



The far end of this beach is unsafe due to landslips in recent years, which polished off a couple of houses built near the edge of the cliff. Sixty years ago, I had a schoolfriend who lived up there, and we spent many a weekend messing about on this beach and on the footpaths and woods above it, some of which no longer exist.

Don't be fooled by the blue skies. It was sunny when the pics were taken although, as you can probably tell, it was pretty cold. By the time we got into the railway carriage to be taken topside again, it was being battered by a hailstorm. Nevertheless we all enjoyed our little adventure.

1 comment:

Paola said...

I'm guessing this was a birthday celebration...what better way to spend it than with family!

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site