Friday 16 July 2010

Cooking Rhubarb


In a comment, chubskulit asked how to cook rhubarb, so I thought I’d tell everyone in case there are others who are not sure about this.

Most important - discard the leaves which would make you ill if you ate them. You can see how large the leaves are in my last post, In the Garden. Just scroll down to the photo of the veg patch and see the rhubarb bottom left of the picture.

Cut the stalks into 2 cm chunks, pulling off any stringy bits. Wash them in a colander. Then you can stew them or cook in the microwave for a few minutes with sugar and not more than a couple of tablespoons of water. Or you can put them in a tart or a pie. Rhubarb crumble is my favourite. It’s so quick to make. We had some last night with custard.

For a crumble, put rhubarb and sugar into a 2 pint deep casserole dish with a tablespoon of water. Rub 2 ounces of butter into 4 ounces of flour till it resembles breadcrumbs, add and ounce of sugar and stir. Cover the rhubarb with this and cook in a medium/hot oven for about half an hour.

It's simple but delicious.

2 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

I love rhubarb ANYTHING.

Unknown said...

I do too, SB. But crumble is my favourite.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site