Monday 26 October 2009

My Love Affair with Carved Wood

A new dropper in my EC inbox is Essence of Woodwork. This blogger has posted some wonderful pictures of woodcraft. I recommend a visit just for those pics if you share my enthusiasm for carved wood.

It reminded me so much of when I was at college and studying the history of art. I came across the work of Grinling Gibbons, wood carver extraordinaire working in the 17th and 18th centuries. That was the beginning of my love affair with carved wood.





The picture is of some Grinling Gibbons carving at Hampton Court Palace near Kingston upon Thames where I used to live. It was taken by Camster2 at Wikimedia Commons

6 comments:

Gerry Hatrić said...

I once went on holiday and got this crazy urge to photograph textures of all kinds. I think I have one picture of the kids from that holiday but 200 pictures of the ground and random walls close up. :)

It's a lovely bit of carving in this photo.

Sahara said...

Carved wood has a 'soul' quality to it...much more filling then those mass production plastics.

Jude said...

I love anything carved from wood and thanks for the link I did check it out and loved looking at all the creativity.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment MV. All Grinling Gibbons is just wonderful.

Good luck with your blog move. It's looking good to me.

Unknown said...

Thank you Sahara. I do so agree.

Unknown said...

Jude, thanks for following the link and for commenting and letting me know. There seems to be wonderful new work featured on that site pretty well every day.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site