Friday 30 October 2009

Children's Books That Stand the Test of Time


I've been writing about writing for children, and had to think of some memorable children's authors. Of course I came up with all the popular ones from my own childhood, like Enid Blyton, who is not considered politically correct nowadays.

But I also thought of the writers of some children's books that are still popular today and were written a century or so ago. Did you know that Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was first published in 1865?

And Beatrix Potter self published The Story of Peter Rabbit in 1901. After it was then picked up by a publisher it became the first of a series that has been reprinted over and over again, complete with her wonderful illustrations.

I imagine J K Rowling's Harry Potter series is going to stand the test of time too.

What a wonderful legacy these authors leave to the world.

14 comments:

Sahara said...

Trully a wonderful legacey - and a aspiring goal for ever author.

To often writing about what will be hot now gets in the way of writing for a treasury of time.

Unknown said...

Yes, Sahara. You're right, though I never thought of it that way before.

Gerry Hatrić said...

Dr Seuss and Winnie the Pooh are my favourites.

Jena Isle said...

You could be one of the authors Jean. I know you can do it.

Jude said...

If I had a talent for writing like you do I would certainly try my hand at writing a book for children. I thought your short story was great it drew me in.

Unknown said...

HI MV - thanks for introducing m to Dr Seuss. All my writers were British, but only because I knew them.

Winnie the Pooh is still a favourite with my granddaughter.

Unknown said...

Jena - I'm not so sure about that. You'd probably be better yourself. But thanks anyway.

Unknown said...

Jude - thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you liked my little bit of fiction.

Linda D said...

I can vividly remember many books I read in childhood although I couldn't tell you much about some of the novels and short stories I've read this year.
Perhaps it's just short term memory loss, but I think it's more because when I was a child I really could 'get lost' in a book to the extent that I became oblivious to my surroundings. That rarely happens these days.

Unknown said...

Yes Linda. I used to get lost in books too. I was always being reprimanded for 'having my head in a book again' and not getting on with other things. Don't think that happens so much these days.

littlebear said...

I collect vintage and firsts of children's books (along with classics and other things) and have firsts by both these authors, although my oldest copy of Alice is a 'first thus' so strictly not a real first. Don't you just love the illustrations? And the dust wrappers are gorgeous (as are the stories)I write about my collections as I love them so much. Great blog,will follow with interest, cheers Ursula

Unknown said...

Thanks Ursula. I've just been to visit you and need to return when I have more time to browse through.

Anonymous said...

Alice in Wonderland was written by Lewis Carroll,not CS Lewis. Maybe you were thinking of Lion Witch and the Wardrobe.

Unknown said...

Thank you for pointing that out, Anonymous. It was actually just a mistake that I hadn't picked up, now put right. But of course, CS Lewis and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is another author and book that will stand the test of time.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site